Formula 1 and MotoGP renew deal with Spain until 2026
Formula One and MotoGP will continued to at the fast, flowing Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya until at least the end of 2026, the two series have today announced.
The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya has been part of the FIM MotoGP™ World Championship calendar since 1992; first as the host of the European Grand Prix (from 1992-1995) and later the Catalan Grand Prix (from 1996).
The track joined the Formula One schedule a year earlier after making its debut in 1991. The race has run under the name of the Spanish Grand Prix since then, and has never been absent from the calendar since its debut.
As part of the new agreement, improvements to the track and facilities will be made ahead of the race on 22nd May 2022, including upgrades and improvements towards the circuit’s ambitious sustainability plans.
Stefano Domenicali, President and CEO of Formula 1, said: “We are delighted to announce this deal with Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya. I want to thank to promoter and the authorities for their enthusiasm and commitment to keeping Formula 1 in Barcelona, with improvements that will be made to the track and facilities, and continuing our long history together.
“The teams and drivers always look forward to racing at the circuit and visiting Barcelona, and the Spanish fans will continue to see their national heroes, Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz up close,” Domenicali concluded.
Roger Torrent, Catalan Minister of Business and Labour, and Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya President, said: “We welcome the renewal of this contract, which includes a mutual commitment clause to help us turn Circuit Barcelona-Catalunya into a model and world benchmark of sustainability applied to this type of facilities. We want the circuit to become an exponent of the green transformation and the adaptation of infrastructures to the demands of the climate emergency”.
via F1Technical.net . Motorsport news https://ift.tt/2AS2r24
November 26, 2021 at 11:36AM