Skip to content

Ricciardo resurgence ‘bad news’ for Ferrari – Leclerc

Ricciardo resurgence ‘bad news’ for Ferrari – Leclerc

https://ift.tt/39nvMBn

On the one hand Charles Leclerc was happy to see Daniel Ricciardo return to the winner’s circle at Monza, but on the other the Monegasque admitted that the McLaren driver’s resurgence is "bad news" for Ferrari.

After enduring persistent struggles with his new team during the first half of this year’s campaign, Ricciardo led a triumphant 1-2 for McLaren in last weekend’s Italian Grand Prix.

The Woking-based outfit’s massive haul of points at Monza has allowed it to reclaim third place in the Constructors’ standings, while Ferrari now sits 13.5 points behind its top midfield rival.

Leclerc says Ricciardo’s win complimented by Lando Norris’ runner-up spot left him with some conflicting feelings.

"Days like this shows they are really on it," Leclerc told Sky Sports F1.

"I am very happy for Daniel, it is great to see him perform as he would have done last year. He is an incredible driver and it is great to see him back at 100 per cent.

"It’s true that he had a bad first part of the season. Even for us it was difficult seeing him struggling like that compared to Lando.

"And finally seeing him perform like the Daniel of the last few years like he did, it’s pleasant to see.

"But for us, it is bad news if he keeps performing like this.

"It is pushing us to try and be perfect every weekend and that is exactly what we will try to do in the next few weekends."

©Ferrari

Ferrari’s double top-ten result at Monza thanks to Leclerc and Carlos Sainz, who finished respectively P4 and P6, fortunately limited the points damage inflicted on the Scuderia.

Leclerc, who ran as high as second in his team’s home race thanks to an early stop under the safety car, reckoned that it would have been difficult for him to achieve a better result.

"The pace was there but the only thing is we were very vulnerable in the last sector and on the first straight so that made it very easy for the others to overtake," he explained.

"I made a lot of lap time in the second sector but the thing is they were recovering more lap time in the last sector and the first sector. That is how we got overtaken.

"It is a shame but in the end, I gave it absolutely everything."

Gallery: The beautiful wives and girlfriends of F1 drivers

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

The post Ricciardo resurgence ‘bad news’ for Ferrari – Leclerc appeared first on F1i.com.

A. F1

via F1i.com https://f1i.com

September 15, 2021 at 10:42AM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: