Karting – ICA decision – Hearing 22 06 21 – Luca Corberi
Case ICA-2021-01: Appeal lodged by Mr Luca Corberi against Decision No. IT-2021-01 dated 19 April 2021 of the International Tribunal of the FIA
On 4 October 2020, at the South Garda Karting circuit in Lonato, in the framework of the 2020 FIA KZ Karting World Championship Final, the driver Mr Luca Corberi was involved in the following incidents:
(i) he threw the front fairing of his kart to the track while other drivers were still competing;
(ii) he physically attacked another driver.
On 1 February 2021, the President of the FIA decided to submit this case to the International Tribunal pursuant to Article 4.2 a) of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules.
On 19 April 2021, the International Tribunal, after having heard the parties and examined their submissions, decided to:
– Confirm the disqualification of Mr Luca Corberi from the competition of Lonato, Italy (2020 FIA Karting World Championship-KZ);
Impose to Mr Luca Corberi a suspension (Article 12.3.1.n of the FIA International Sporting Code (1) and a ban (Articles 5.2.2.b (2) and 5.2.2.d (3) of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules) for a period of 15 years starting on the date of coming into force of the decision of the International Tribunal.
(1) The Suspension deprives, for a specified period of time, the person subject to it of the right to take part, directly or indirectly and in any capacity whatsoever, in (i) any Competition organised or regulated by the FIA or the ASNs (or placed under their authority), and (ii) any preparatory testing and training organised or regulated by the FIA or the ASNs (or placed under their authority) or organised by their members or licence‐holders. (Article 12.4.1.n of the 2021 FIA International Sporting Code)
(2) Ban on taking part or exercising a role, directly or indirectly, in competitions, events or championships organised directly or indirectly on behalf of or by the FIA, or subject to the regulations and decisions of the FIA
(3) Ban on exercising within the FIA any duties whatsoever as an executive officer, a member of a commission, or a president of a commission, or any duties of any nature whatsoever on behalf of the FIA and/or within a body of the FIA
On 23 April 2021, Mr Luca Corberi decided to appeal the decision of the International Tribunal.
Decision of the International Court of Appeal
The Court, after having heard the parties and examined their submissions, decided:
- Reject the appeal;
- Uphold the decision of the International Tribunal (i.e. a suspension and a ban for a period of 15 years).
The International Court of Appeal was presided over by Mr Harry DUIJM (Netherlands), and included Mr Michael GRECH (Malta), Mr Philippe NARMINO (Monaco) and Mr Erich SEDELMAYER (Austria).
Full decision is available here.
via Press release feed https://ift.tt/2ynDsjd
July 20, 2021 at 09:08PM